Friday, July 8, 2011

Children

I rented the movie Taken, starring Liam Neeson. I want to watch it with my soon to be off to college daughter. It's the story of a young woman who takes off on a Grand Tour of Europe, with a friend. They're kidnapped by scummy white slaver types; Neeson spends most of the movie tracking them and her down, thank goodness successfully in the end. In my heavy-handed way I want my daughter to see there's a lot of scum out there, be careful who you trust. What I'm really saying is: I can't protect you. Certainly not with the skills of a superhero like Neeson. And I feel weak about that. So kids feel afraid knowing that their parents won't be able to protect them. And parents get angry at their kids knowing they'll get into jams that remind parents how little control they actually have. Plenty of fear and regret to go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment